Anybody know offhand *why* my() lexicals are supposedly faster?
If they're stored on a scratchpad for the scope, which is an array,
(technically a stack of them to accommodate recursion,) then exactly
how does Perl go about finding which data location you mean when you
say $x for a lexical?  $::x has to go through the package lookup, which
(if I recall correctly) is technically a hash element of a hash element
at least......but if the scratchpad has a lot of scope-specific
lexicals, how does it find which one is x?

my $brain = 'tapioca'; #=o)