Well, I've been resisting any replies here, especially since I've *never*
been accused of being "politically correct", but since we're tossing
in pennies, here are my two:

I agree that the use of *any* symbols of a race or religion to represent a
sports team (or anything else of that ilk) is at least distasteful, and
probably even downright insulting given way those symbols are used in a
typical sports setting -- see the Atlanta Braves and their idiot fans'
"Tomahawk Chop".

However, IMHO, the use of the name "Apache" shouldn't in any way be
interpreted as demeaning here. We're using it for something that we all
hold in the highest respect -- well written, open, highly useable software
that's the most popular in the world for its task. I don't believe I've
ever seen any representation of the Apache logos used in any way that
connoted anything but respect and admiration.

Yes, I'm an *not* of Native American descent (I'd love to hear the
viewpoint of someone who *is*...), so maybe there's something that I
don't understand here.  But I don't think I'd be personally offended if we
were calling this "the Italian server", or "the French-Canadian server",
or "the American server" (which covers my ethnic backgrounds...;^) In
fact, I think I'd feel some pride in having a quality product associated
with what I identify with.

(And in a little tangent to give folks something to flame, I've never
understood why people get so offended about sports teams using "warrior"
in their names. My home town recently changed their team names from "The
Golden Warriors" to "The Golden Eagles", because of a discussion like the
one we're involved in here.  Isn't "warriors" a generic term?  Weren't
there Amazon warriors?  The Vikings? The Romans? etc.?)

Some folks spend way too much time looking for something to be offended
by, again IMHO.

That's my 2 (or 3) cents...
<Steve>

--
Steve Reppucci                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED] |