according to perl.com's front page 5.6 is stable and 5.7 is dev.

> I've seem some
> discussion out of
> the corner of my eye here about people complaining about 5.6
> and to get
> so-and-so latest version instead. To someone like me who
> doesn't really use
> 5.6 specific features, I just avoid getting 5.6 altogether because of
> seeing posts like this.
>
> Also, is 5.6 really the release that works the most stably
> with mod_perl
> 1.25? Or would a variant of 5.005 really be better instead if people
> complain about 5.6?
>
> I just noticed this in the digest and it started me thinking
> about this.
> Because if I read the digest as a newbie, I would be taking
> it to mean that
> if I want the most stable mod_perl server I would use Perl 5.6 with
> mod_perl 1.25.

I suppose you could draw that conclusion.  The information I was including,
though, was merely meant to be the status of things as repored by the
various bodies.  If a newbie went to perl.com looking for the latest stable
version of perl, he would be directed to 5.6.

there have been lots of reports about 5.6 being broken, but I thought that
it was mostly a few broken features of the language rather than blanket
incompatibility with mod_perl.  I can't recall, really...

I think that short of Doug stating which version of perl he wants to endorse
with 1.25 we should go with what is the official listing on perl.com.

of course, I don't follow p5p as well as I should - if they are pretty much
pushing 5.6.1-trial (or whatever) instead of 5.6 then maybe I'll link to
that instead.  But they ought to propigate that message out to the masses, I
would think.

--Geoff