Not answering your mod_perl question here, but I believe this
suggestion in the guide isn't useful advice in any event --
this isn't 'echo'ing to /dev/null as su (root); rather it's 'echo'ing
a line as su, and you (normal user) are redirecting that output to
/dev/null.

I.e., the grouping of that command is like so (yeah, I know, this is
in no way intended to be real shell syntax, just to show the
semantics...):

    (sudo echo) > /dev/null

rather than:

    sudo (echo >/dev/null)

Not sure what is trying to be accomplished by either of these, but in
the interests of clarity in the guide, I think this ought to be either
corrected or removed entirely.  I'll volunteer to make the changes, if
someone can clarify exactly what the intended result is.

Stas? What do you say? Am I missing something here?

<Steve Reppucci>

--
Steve Reppucci                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED] |