I want to read and parse a file when Apache mod_perl starts and have access to the
data while my mod_perl methods are processing the request.  The most obvious approach
(to me) is to put the reading/parsing code at the beginning of my mod_perl module,
outside of my methods, and load the data into a package array variable that my methods
can access during request processing.

However, I want to put the pathname of the file (relative to ServerRoot) in the
httpd.conf file as a PerlSetVar.  I don't see any way to access the value of a
PerlSetVar until the request phase.  In other words, in the module code that runs at
startup time, I want to do this:

my $file = $r->server_root_relative($r->dir_config('SharedSecretKeyFile'));

except I don't have the Apache Request object ($r).

Am I completely on the wrong track?  Is there some way to access a PerlSetVar without
the request object?

Richard Anderson, Ph.D.          www.unixscripts.com
Perl / Java / SQL / Unix           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Raycosoft, LLC                       Seattle, WA, USA