[snip]

> > Is there a way I could use <LocationMatch> to specify a not
> condition?
> > as in
> > <LocationMatch !~ "/(thisfile|thatDir|whatever).*">
> > SSLVerifyClient require
> > </LocationMatch>
> >
> > That would let me list the exceptions, and everything else would be
> > restricted by default......
>
> It's really frustrating, but this is *not* possible...

I _hate_ hearing that...

anyway, after an initial attempt to hack http_request.c (which didn't seem
that hard but proved beyond my meager C) I came up with this:

http://morpheus.laserlink.net/~gyoung/modules/Apache-ReverseLocation-0.01.ta
r.gz

it's just proof-of-concept at this point, but allows for reversed <Location
!~ "foo" > and <LocationMatch !~ "foo"> by just including it as a PerlModule

it's major limitation at this point is that you can only have one reversed
configuration - I didn't build in regex => location mappings yet, just in
case somebody points out that this can never really work.  In my tests,
though, it seemed to work just fine, but I may be missing something.

anyway, if anyone thinks this is a worthy endeavor (over patching httpd
core), and doesn't manage to show how futile the efforts really is, then I
maybe I'll tidy it up, document it, and release it...

have fun...

--Geoff