We are working with some financial folks who would like us to set
passwords when we bring apache up, rather than using a config file.
We tried various permutations of inputting variables in the 'setup.pl'
file and so on - although we could echo the variable, if we input it,
it was not available to the child processes.  If we set the variable
to a string it is always set, however.

Does anyone have a simple method for inputting a string into a
variable which won't keep it in a file?  The string does not need to
change while apache is running.  We could use shared memory, etc but
that seems like overkill.  I'm a bit puzzled by the observed
behavior.

Thanks,

Mike H.