On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 01:58:56PM -0400, Chris Strom wrote:
> > > I can't say as I've had any problems using
> > > err_headers_out->add("Set-Cookie") with any browsers.  I'm
> > > surprised to hear that you've had problems with it.
> >
> > even DURING a redirect? i seem to have hit a chord here, as
> > i'm getting lots of "me too" in my mailbox.
>
> Even during a redirect.  The following works for me (in a PerlInitHandler
> NOT a PerlAccessHandler) with lynx (2.7) just fine.
>
>   $r->err_headers_out->add('Location' => $dest);
>   $r->err_headers_out->add('Set-Cookie' => $cookie);
>
>   $log->debug("Authentication successful.  Redirecting to $dest");
>   return REDIRECT;

okay, i'll try that, too. expectations low, from experience. :/

> > something else i'm trying now is
> >
> >     $r->set_handlers(PerlHandler => undef);
> >     $r->push_handlers( PerlHandler => sub { ...print "<meta
> > http-equiv...
>
> This ought to work and is a little more conceptually clean that what you
> were trying to accomplish with redirects and printing content in the
> PerlAccessHandler.  Still, my gut feeling is that it's better to move the
> handler up the chain to a PerlInitHandler and do simple redirects there.
> Obviously it's preferable to perform access checks in PerlAccessHandlers,
> but sometimes you do need to set a cookie when doing redirects.

hmm. implying that cookie-setting gets borked in accesshandlers?
(mine sure do.)

> > but THIS for some reason redirects the browser back to itself,
> > instead of to the login area. the protected area is "/protected"
> > and the login area is "/login" so the http-equiv tag looks like
> http://www.fricking-site.com/login";>
> but it cycles back to www.cannot-get-in.com/protected instead... !
>
> Are you setting HTTP headers?

        % telnet no-way-in-hell-bubba.com 80
        Connected to no-way-in-hell-bubba.com.
        Escape character is '^]'.
        GET /protected HTTP/1.1
        Host: no-way-in-hell-bubba.com

i ask for /protected on lunacy-for-lunch.com server, and get

        HTTP/1.1 200 OK