On Fri, 4 May 2001, ___cliff rayman___ wrote:

> "G.W. Haywood" wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately you have an old version of Perl (5.004) so you should
> > heed the advice of the build scripts and upgrade.  I would suggest
> > version 5.005_03.  You must compile Perl, Apache and mod_perl with
> > the same compiler.
>
> curious - why 5.005_03 as opposed to the recently released 5.6.1?

It's too new and not production "stress"-tested enough. 5.005_03 is used
for a long time and it's *known* to be good for your production
environment. While 5.6.1 is supposed to be stable and bugs-free, chances
are that it's not 100% clean and we will have to wait for a few more sub
versions (which means more time and testing), before we can endorse the
masses to use it.

Of course some people run the bleeding edge versions on their servers
(either because they need some new features, unavailable in the stable
versions, or just because...). But these people usually don't complain on
the list, they send patches if they find something broken.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/