this is not your problem.  you can't run Apache::DBI outside of mod_perl -
when you do you will get this error.

[snip]

> Thanks Stas,
>
> Thing is, I'm sure all the prerequisites have been met.
>
> I'm running apache 1.3.14 and mod_perl 1.21, mod_perl was configured with
> EVERYTHING=1.
>
> The docs don't say so but does ApacheDBI depend on any other modules?

just DBI.  try

PerlModule DBI
PerlModule Apache::DBI

FWIW, the RH6.1 RPMs were problematic for Apache::DBI - I'm not sure whether
the default RH6.2 RPMs fixed the problem.  Maybe you could either upgrade
your RPMs or roll from source...

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=94148815817548&w=2

if that doesn't work then please send whatever your error log spits out as
well as other pertinent config information.

HTH

--Geoff