Hey all,

Let me describe what I have been imagining as the ideal widget for what I am
writing:

    1 - it can look to its environment to determine how to render itsself
        - am I on an HTML page or something else?
    2 - it has properties that can be set and remain static no matter who's
using it
        - size, shape, colour, max, min
    3 - it has properties that are customized by the individual user of the
widget
        - current value, theme choice,
    4 - it can tell developers and environments what it can do
        - switch_on, switch_off, increment, decrement, etc.
    5 - it is capable of persisting from invocation to invocation
        - user 1 sets current_value to x - which always comes back for user
1
    6 - it can look to its environment for interhitable properties
        - global theme choice, global font, etc.
    7 - templating systems know how to call widgets
        - because they always use the same method to display themselves
    8 - widget can interact with each other
        - increasing value on slider widget changes current record # value
for database record widget
    9 - access restrctions
        - users can override some values but not others
        - not everyone can even use this widget, etc.
    10 - multilingual
        - some things are language neutral others are not - "size" would
probably be neutral whereas "label" would be language sensitive
    11 - above all it is easy to use
        - ie/ don't make me set a zillion properties just to make it work!

I am going to throw out a buzzword, gasp, which may serve as a model for
what we are talking about: JavaBeans. I do feel there is a lot of additional
complexity there but it is along the right direction IMHO.

If you translate my wishlist into technologies I think I am talking about:

    A - a good persistant object management environment
    B - user sessions
    C - integration of widgets (objects) to user sessions
    D - Object API (properties and methods) which are consistant and
predictable
    E - self documenting objects

This is what I have been looking for/writing myself! I am really eager to
chip in on this project and get it going ASAP - but do acknowledge the need
for hearty discussion about what people really want not just my own views.
:))

Jay