ASCEND SOAPBOX

I agree with Alex (and it's not just because we work together). Companies
have been doing the kind of data collecting Alex is talking about for years.
As a matter of fact, some Cultural Anthropologists specialize in "Corporate
Anthropology" (for a recent related news item see
-http://www.cnn.com/2001/CAREER/dayonthejob/05/23/corp.anthropologist.idg/in
dex.html ). Collecting anonymous information about users is something almost
all websites do - I'm hesitant to say all, because I'm sure one website out
there doesn't keep a usage log (i.e. /usr/local/apache/logs/access_log or
/usr/local/apache/logs/error_log). It would be almost impossible to run a
good website that changes based on user trends and preferences and not do
some form of user tracking.

Of course the real problem is when the website tries to link the collected
data in someway to real people. Knowing that 15% of your users HTTP_REFERRER
is www.porn.com is one thing, knowing that Persons X, Y, and Z came from
www.porn.com and acting on that knowledge to send them information about the
latest sale on leather underwear and selling their names to the porn_users
mailing list is completely wrong.

In my opinion, a good website has to track generalizations about user
preferences so it can react to add to the user experience in positive ways.
One way to do this to collect anonymous data about the things a user does on
the site. This can be done and still protect a users privacy.

DESCEND SOAPBOX

Joe Breeden
Sent from my Outlook 2000 Wired Deskheld (www.microsoft.com)