It can be a real nightmare getting it all compiled and working,
especially if you're not on Linux, but it is worth it in the end.

I strongly recommend building everything yourself from the ground up,
wherever possible, especially if you're working in a production
environment. Vendor-supplied versions are often subtly different from
the public distributions, and when you do need to recompile for some
reason (e.g. mod_perl, or Apache modules that don't play nicely with
your current build) you don't want to have to wait for your vendor to
pull their finger out.

The perl sources are obtainable from
http://www.cpan.org/src/stable.tar.gz

There is additional INSTALL documentation for AIX. It looks like you
will need one of a couple of vendor supplied compilers, or gcc and some
sweat.

The mod_perl source does contain some stuff about patching the perl
sources for AIX. This is intended for use by the 'ubiquitous' patch
program (also written by Larry Wall). Try 'man patch' or 'which patch'
on your system. If you don't have it, there's a Gnu version you can get.
If you have trouble getting patch working, just try and patch the
sources manually :-)

Once you've got your patched version of perl up and running (it may fail
a few obscure tests ... on Mac OS X, perl 5.6.1 failed on 4 tests), the
rest *should* be fairly straightforward ...

Good luck!