On 04 Jul 2001 17:31:24 +0200, Joachim Zobel wrote:

> Hi.
>
> The question is: Are a few good developers all we need? If this is the case
> we can safely ignore to be ignored (we have them).
>
> It is OK to be one of the few people to know the leading Apache development
> system. But it has serious drawbacks. Where I work people are migrating
> from server side javascript to java. With better Perl marketing they might
> migrate from Perl/CGI to mod_perl and my work would be more fun (I do
> consider changing my
> job an option, but I like the people I work with). It is however
> frustrating to leave work, get on the tram, take out my laptop and do it
> better than I did the 8h before.
>
> So do we want to be "Enterprise" and "Industry Standard" and such crap?

Yes, we do. But I don't think it's enough to convince people to move to
"mod_perl". They want to move to a better framework. I'm sure you know
which one I favour :-) Sadly most people *still* see Perl on the web as
CGI, as printing out your HTML from code, etc. It needs more articles in
the right places to fix that sort of misconception.

Matt.