On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Dave Hill wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am using mod_perl-1.25_01 on Tru64 unix with apxs.
>
> The default packaging creates the DSO mod_perl as libperl.so. This
> causes problems on Tru64 unix as the loader cannot differentiate between
> libperl.so which is part of the PERL distribution and libperl.so which
> is the Apache DSO.
>
> I found the replacing libperl in apaci/Makefile with mod_perl  (4
> places) solved this issue.
>
> Given that Apache seems to use mod_*.so for library names..... why not
> with mod_perl ?
> If that does not make sense, how about adding a variable that could e
> used with Makefile.PL ?

mainly historical reasons.  mod_perl followed the mod_proxy convention of
nameing multi-source-file modules libname.a, which php does as well,
probably others too.  at the time the lib$name had to match the
$name_module structure for apache's build system to get things right.  the
name stuck when dso was introduced.  you can always rename modperl's
libperl.so to libmodperl.so or whatever.  2.0 uses that name to avoid this
confict/confusion and also allows you to name it whatever you like with a
Makefile.PL option.  i'd be happy to have a Makefile.PL option for 1.xx if
you want to submit a patch, but the default will probably stay libperl.so
for 1.xx.