> Does this mean that if there's a heavily used script on my system that
> needs to be VERY fast, then it may be worth making it into a mod_perl
> handler?

Not unless you get astonishing amounts of traffic and your script does
almost nothing.  These are very simple test cases, so they exaggerate the
speed differences.  (Intentionally.)  However, you should be aware that
handlers rock, and many of us consider them more fun than Registry scripts.
Registry scripts have their fans as well, of course.

> What are the caveats of using mod_perl handlers instead of normal
> scripts?

You can read more here:
http://perl.apache.org/guide/porting.html#Transitioning_from_Apache_Regis

- Perrin