[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Mak) wrote:
>Does this mean that if there's a heavily used script on my system that
>needs to be VERY fast, then it may be worth making it into a mod_perl
>handler? What are the caveats of using mod_perl handlers instead of normal
>scripts?

The basic idea is this: with a handler, you're adding new capabilities
to the server itself.  With a script (CGI or Registry or otherwise),
your functionality becomes a resource outside the server, and the server
must check that resource, manage it, and cater to its interface needs.
How aggressively the server manages reloading, etc. varies from one
scheme to another, but that additional stuff is the reason Registry
scripts are usually slower than handlers.

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            The Math Forum