John,
A number of good suggestions came by regarding this.  Here's mine, use
the following in place of your cgi-bin.pl include...

        use CGI qw(:cgi-lib :standard -debug);

This will allow you to use CGI.pm and have it default to the cgi-lib
commands you're used to.  The "-debug" statement will allow you to run
your scripts via command line and enter in the "variable=value" pairs
that you would normally send via html form.

Good luck and I hope this helps,
Ron