Bob Foster wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Stas Bekman's excellent Apache::VMonitor module to help me
> decrease my mod_perl child process memory usage.  I was working on
> preloading all of my perl modules and scripts in a startup.pl script when
> I noticed that the amount of shared memory seemed very low.  Immediately
> after I make an Oracle database connection, the child jumps from a size of
> 3.6M (2.4M shared) to 17.4M (3.4M shared).  The child process slowly grows
> to 22.2M (3.4M shared).  The loaded libs Sizes total 13.6M.
>
> Shouldn't the libs load into shared memory?  If so, how?

Make sure to "use DBD::Oracle" in your startup.pl or
do PerlModule DBD::Oracle ... that should load up some
Oracle libs in the parent.  Also, you *might* try
doing a connect or even an invalid connect to Oracle,
which might grab some extra libs that it only loads
at runtime.

If you do a connect in the parent httpd to Oracle, make sure
that Apache::DBI doesn't cache it later for the children,
which is why I was suggesting doing an invalid connect
with user/pass like "BADBAD/BADBAD"

--Josh