Bob Foster wrote:

> Thank you very much, Joshua.  I have made some progress and am now seeing
> 15.8M shared out of 16.7M on the parent.  I believe that the problem was
> that I was doing a graceful restart which wasn't restarting the parent
> process.
>
> Now I have a different problem.  When I initially start apache, everything
> is OK, but when the child processes die (due to MaxRequestsPerChild or me
> killing them) , the new child doesn't have a database connection and I'm
> getting "Internal Server Error."  I suspect I can sort that mess out after
> a bit more troubleshooting.

Cool, but each child will need its own database connection, and
last time I worked with Oracle like this, it was a minimum 3M
unshared just for the Oracle connection.  So just make sure
that each child httpd is doing its own DBI->connect() and not
reusing a handle created in the parent httpd or you will have
problems.

Also, more a side note, I have found that you have to fully
restart apache, not just a graceful, if either the Oracle server
is restarted or the TNS listener is restarted.

--Josh