I am trying to make a back-end mod_perl/mod_ssl server.  The front-end
server that is currently in place is doing a great job forwarding normal
requests to the back-end, but it is not forwarding SSL.  Now, the front-end
server does not understand SSL, itself.  What I'm doing is trying to force
the entire VirtualHost listening on port 443 to an IP on a private subnet on
an obscure port (what I do for all the back-end servers.  There are actually
3 of them doing various things).  But it won't work.  The strange thing is
that if I go to http://mysite:443/ I get the default Apache "It Worked"
page, but https://mysite/ generates an error saying that the front end
cannot understand, which seems to be pointing at the fact that it's not
forwarding ANYTHING to the back-end server...

Stas & Eric: This situation is mentioned in your book, but in nowhere enough
detail.  IMHO, that segment of the book (near the end of chapter "Server
Setup Strategies for the Best Performance") should be redone in better
detail to explain forwarding SSL to the back-end server.

  Issac

Internet is a wonderful mechanism for making a fool of
yourself in front of a very large audience.
  --Anonymous

Moving the mouse won't get you into trouble...  Clicking it might.
  --Anonymous

PGP Key 0xE0FA561B - Fingerprint:
7E18 C018 D623 A57B 7F37 D902 8C84 7675 E0FA 561B