                          mod_perl digest

                    July 15, 2001 - July 28, 2001

Recent happenings in the mod_perl world...

Features

  o mod_perl status
  o conference report
  o module announcements
  o mailing list highlights
  o links

mod_perl status

  o mod_perl
    - stable: 1.26 (released July 11, 2001) [1]
    - development: 1.26_01-dev [2]
  o Apache
    - stable: 1.3.20 (released May 15, 2001) [3]
    - development: 1.3.21-dev [4]
  o Perl
    - stable: 5.6.1 (released April 9, 2001) [5]
    - development: 5.7.2 [6]

conference report

  Well, the Open Source Convention was a success - it was the
  most enjoyable conference I have attended.  I am sure that
  there will be a few reports that trickle in over the days
  as people return home, but here is a brief summary of my
  time at least...

  The usual cast of characters from the mod_perl community were
  there in full force - too many to mention without leaving
  somebody out.  I think that everyone would agree that, despite
  far too many over-priced drinks, the time spent crowding the
  hotel lobby/bar was both enjoyable and constructive.

  There was no shortage of interesting talks.  If you didn't
  already know, mod_perl had an entire track dedicated to it, with
  6 tutorials and 13 talks.  There were also separate Apache and
  XML tracks (and, of course, Perl).  My own wanderings found me
  listening to Ryan Bloom, who gave a great overview of input and
  output filtering in Apache 2.0.  Doug MacEachern's presentation of
  mod_perl 2.0 had lots of new material, including a demonstration
  of calling the mod_perl API from PHP.  Matt Sergeant explained
  why SOAP sucks (and why it rocks), and Perrin Harkins deftly
  presented the different templating systems while avoiding an
  outright war using comedy and some burning images.

  There were lots of other talks given by people whose names you
  would recognize - I'll let others fill in the gaps.  All in all
  it was highly educational and lots of fun - start making plans
  to attend next year...

module announcements

  o SOAP::Lite 0.51 - a collection of Perl modules which provides a
    simple and lightweight interface to SOAP, including Apache::SOAP [7]

  o OpenInteract 1.1 - an extensible web application framework
    built on Apache, mod_perl, Template Toolkit and SPOPS [8]

mailing list highlights

  It's been a light few weeks on the list, especially last week with
  the conference.  I've been kinda swamped lately as well, but I'll try
  to return with something more substantial next week.

  o ApacheCon Dublin has been cancelled [9]

  o Some tips on increasing the amount of shared memory between the
    parent and child processes when using databases [10]

  o Share some experiences with Ultimate Bulletin Board [11]

links

  o The Apache/Perl Integration Project [12]
  o mod_perl documentation [13]
  o mod_perl modules on CPAN [14]
  o mod_perl homepage [15]
  o mod_perl news and advocacy [16]