On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Kyle Dawkins wrote:

> Mixing HTML with Perl with SQL is bad and evil on every single possible
> level.

This bugged me... "TMTOWTDI" applies on so many levels.

The "right" way to do something is not always the technically "best" way
to do something.  If you work in a large corporate enviroment with many
hands in the development pot, then hey, I agree, and there should
probably be a corporate document stating the guidelines and restrictions
of developement.

If however you work in a two person company where you have barely enough
time to go to the bathroom let alone think about creating your own
database abstraction layer for a custom application and "maintaining" code
means changing a link once a month.  Then by all means embed away, and
take the quick development path over performance or maintainability.

On the other hand, if you are completely broke and work on a non-profit
project and the only system you have is a P200 with 64M of Memory, then
you may want to think about avoiding templating systems, and doing nothing
but a single module with embedded SQL with Perl and HTML.

There is always more then one way to do it, and there's usually more then
one right way to do it.  Let's keep that in mind.

Jay