On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Sidharth Malhotra wrote:

SM> In the Apache::Reload module, if the 'require' fails, your script
SM> bails out, and your client gets status 500.  The side effect is
SM> that totally unrelated scripts can fail because a bad programmer
SM> on another end of the system forgot my a variable.
SM>
SM> My proposed solution is to put the require inside an eval.  Upon
SM> failure, simply write to the error log.

I already handle this in my own code in a system with pluggable user
modules. I want to control myself if the scripts dies (which is does on
system modules) or not (which it does not on user supplied modules).

SM> My Question:  If the require is in an eval, what happens when a reload
SM> fails?  Does the old code in memory stay or or is it removed w/out being
SM> replaced by the updated code?

I do not want Apache::Reload to remove this control from me, and I do not
under any case want old code to remain in memory or be removed, and
execution continue, when I have given a "reload" command. That would be a
major security risk.

--
Henrik Edlund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.edlund.org/

"You're young, you're drunk, you're in bed, you have knives; shit
happens." -- Angelina Jolie