I'm trying to install libapreq on a new box on which I've rolled an
apache-mod_ssl-openssl combo. As you may know this puts httpd in
/usr/local/apachessl.

Using the standard perl Makefile.PL && make fails at make:

In file included from apache_request.c:58:
apache_request.h:5: httpd.h: No such file or directory
apache_request.h:6: http_config.h: No such file or directory
apache_request.h:7: http_core.h: No such file or directory
apache_request.h:8: http_log.h: No such file or directory
apache_request.h:9: http_main.h: No such file or directory
apache_request.h:10: http_protocol.h: No such file or directory
apache_request.h:11: util_script.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/tmp/libapreq-0.33/c.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/tmp/libapreq-0.33.

So I followed the hint in INSTALL and did ./configure
--with-apache-includes=/usr/local/apachessl/include which works fine, but
make generates an error:

[...]
creating Makefile
creating c/Makefile
creating c/libapreq_config.h
c/libapreq_config.h is unchanged
Making all in c
"Makefile", line 278: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Line 278 in c/Makefile seems to say:
-include $(DEP_FILES)

Thanks for any help,