On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, David Wheeler wrote:

> I thought that the content would be returned to the browser before the
> logging phase was executed.

I think it makes the logging phase go first, so that it has the
opportunity to check identd on the browser.

> Is there any way to get the content handling phase to send the content to
> the client before the logging phase executes?

I'm not familiar with how handlers work, so I'll let someone else answer
the exact question that you asked.

If you're logging to a MySQL database and that's slowing you down, you
could try using "INSERT DELAYED" instead of "INSERT"; in that case, it
will let you go earlier.

You could also make a "middleman" logging process that starts up when
Apache starts up; when the log handler has something to send, it
communicates with the logging process via a UNIX domain socket, and then
the logging process is the one that puts up with the logging delay. This
is probably better for efficiency reasons (unless you have RAM to spare),
because you don't want to be tying up memory heavy mod_perl processes for
a menial task such as logging.