> We have also heard something about OpenInteract, which is based on
> Template Toolkit - may be it would be simplier to use it?

It does sound like a possible good choice for your purposes, since it
combines a basic application structure with Template Toolkit integration and
an object/relational mapping tool (SPOPS) for data management.

Personally, the way I would do this is to write the config stuff you're
doing in XML as straight Perl data structures (nested hashes and arrays).  I
would do all of the database processing in standard Perl modules, and only
use TT to display results and editing forms.  If your TT templates seem
messy, it may be because you're trying to do too much application logic in
them.  It's best to avoid things like the DBI plugin and do all the real
work before you run the template.

- Perrin