> > > a search for libssl reveals:
> > >
> > > find / -name libssl.so.0
> > > /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.0

> > what do you see when you do:
> >
> > ls -l /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.0

-rw-r--r--   1 bin      bin       844468 Oct 29  2000
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.0

so mine's not a symlink nor an executable...

> or your /etc/ld.so.conf doesn't have /usr/local/ssl/lib.

indeed, i do not /have/ an ld.so.conf ... the closest match seems to be
an ld.so.1 in /etc/lib, but that's a binary  :)
i also don't have an ldconfig executable

ssh has been compiled and happily running against this version of
openssl for a couple of weeks. I've re-made and re-installed openssl
(windows habits die hard) before posting this message, but the whole
build still fails in exactly the same way as previously reported.

when i build apache directly (that is to say running configure and make
in the ./apache_XXXX directory, as opposed to in mod_perl) it does not
stall on a missing ssl library, and happily compiles with mod_ssl.

=====
u n d e r a c h i e v e r (and proud)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>