U n d e r a c h i e v e r wrote:

>>>what do you see when you do:
>>>
>>>ls -l /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.0
>>>

> -rw-r--r--   1 bin      bin       844468 Oct 29  2000
> /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.0
>
> so mine's not a symlink nor an executable...

that's a weird thing, did you install openssl from src or got it in the
binary form?
have you tried to set the +x bit?

>>or your /etc/ld.so.conf doesn't have /usr/local/ssl/lib.
>>

> indeed, i do not /have/ an ld.so.conf ... the closest match seems to be
> an ld.so.1 in /etc/lib, but that's a binary  :)
> i also don't have an ldconfig executable

no, no. it shouldn't be there. That's why you tell the configure code
where to find the library. It uses this path during the linking stage
and for finding header files.

> ssh has been compiled and happily running against this version of
> openssl for a couple of weeks. I've re-made and re-installed openssl
> (windows habits die hard) before posting this message, but the whole
> build still fails in exactly the same way as previously reported.
>
> when i build apache directly (that is to say running configure and make
> in the ./apache_XXXX directory, as opposed to in mod_perl) it does not
> stall on a missing ssl library, and happily compiles with mod_ssl.

weirdo, it fails to open the file, so how about trying to use strace(1)
or similar and see what it actually tries to open? log the output into a
file and then look there.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://eXtropia.com/