Hi,

I have been following this thread with interest because I have been
struggling with the same problem.  I define it this way.

 * To achieve secure authentication which is widely supported, you need
   to use Basic authentication over SSL
 * All URLs which can be accessed with HTTPS can be accessed with HTTP
 * I secure certain directories with .htaccess and all of the links
   in my site which point to them are via HTTPS, so as long as people
   always follow the links, they will never transfer the password
   in clear text (essentially) over the network using HTTP.
 * However, if they type the URL directly into the browser and they
   *forget* to use "https" but rather use "http", their password
   is exposed to network sniffers.

I think that it was to solve this problem that J.J.Horner suggested
the module.  Any request to a secured area using HTTP would be
automatically redirected to the same URL with HTTPS instead.
Thus, the browser would never, ever be prompted to surrender the
authentication credentials (password) in the clear over HTTP.

Thus, I see great value to JJ's suggested module.

Is there an easier way to safeguard against Apache prompting for
a password over HTTP?

Stephen