On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 04:08:30PM -0400, Stephen Adkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been following this thread with interest because I have been
> struggling with the same problem.  I define it this way.
>
>  * To achieve secure authentication which is widely supported, you need
>    to use Basic authentication over SSL
>  * All URLs which can be accessed with HTTPS can be accessed with HTTP
>  * I secure certain directories with .htaccess and all of the links
>    in my site which point to them are via HTTPS, so as long as people
>    always follow the links, they will never transfer the password
>    in clear text (essentially) over the network using HTTP.
>  * However, if they type the URL directly into the browser and they
>    *forget* to use "https" but rather use "http", their password
>    is exposed to network sniffers.

Do just like mod_proxy_add_forward.c but forward the port also.

    /* fixup */
    ap_table_set(r->headers_in, "X-Port", ap_psprintf(r->pool, "%u",
        r->server->port ? r->server->port : ap_default_port(r)));

    # PerlPost
    my $forwarded_port = $r->header_in('X-Port');
    if ($forwarded_port != 443)
    {
        # do something
    } else {