This 'Apache::Vermicide' module, installed as a 'PerlPostReadRequestHandler',
seems to be preventing any 'PerlSetEnv' directives from being parsed out
of a '.htaccess' file (or equivalent).  IOW, the ENV vars aren't getting
set properly.

I'm investigating how to remedy this issue.

Tim.

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 02:01:24PM -0600, Nathan Torkington wrote:

> [Apologies if you get this twice--mailed it first from my oreilly.com
> account, which may not be the address subscribed to this list]
>
> http://www.torkington.com/vermicide.txt has a mod_perl handler to
> catch the requests as soon as they arrive, and discard them with a
> minimum of work to Apache.  If your web server is struggling under the
> load, this might help.
>
> The heuristic it uses for "requests to ignore with prejudice" is the
> presence of root.exe, cmd.exe, or default.ida.  You might want to
> tweak the regexp if those files are part of your web site :-)
>
> Yes, it's ugly to put the code into your httpd.conf.  Consider this a
> visual reminder to take it out once the worm scare has passed.
>
> Nat

  \ \                                                 Timothy E. Peoples
 \  c o l l e c t i v e                              Engineering Manager
   \ \                                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                 AOL -- The longest September on Record