Matthew Kennedy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why exactly is that a dirty secret?  I've been thinking about
> writing one or two standalone poe daemons to handle interfacing
> with other systems, and it doesn't seem like such a bad idea.
[ ... ]
> Is anyone else using independent perl processes in a web app, or
> have strong reasons not to?

I'm using a whole host of perl cron jobs to do deferred processing
(take stuff out of a queue and handle it, the queue usually being a
table on a RDBMS), as well as assorted indexation and cleanup tasks.

In fact, pretty much every new project that I work on ends up
generating:
  * perl modules
  * html and templates
  * database tables, and
  * cron jobs

Isn't that what everyone else does?  I don't exactly see this as a
dirty secret either...

I've also done perl daemons that were meant to run permanently, but
there isn't so often the need for that.

--
Roger Espel Llima, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.iagora.com/~espel/index.html