On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Jonathan M. Hollin wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:31:57 -0000
> From: Jonathan M. Hollin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: CVS
>
> Hi people,
>
> I am currently developing a content management system under mod_perl, with
> data stored in an RDBMS (MySQL at present, but Oracle on the production
> server).
>
> I would like to add version control to published documents (read pages) and
> wondered if anyone has any experience of this who would be willing to offer
> me some advice.  I have a CVS server and am curious as to whether there is
> some way this can used (bearing in mind that I want to manage DB data, not
> files).  I would like to be able to rollback to any previous version (if
> possible), and would also like to document the different versions
> themselves.
>
> I'm thinking that I could maybe commit the database files to CVS and then
> use a module to communicate with the CVS server (Apache-CVS, VCP, VCS-CVS,
> etc).  Is this possible?  Has anyone ever tried anything like this?
>
> I have searched CPAN and used Google to search the web and Usenet but have
> so far drawn a blank.
>
> I suspect that I will not be able to use CVS in this manner and that
> therefore I am going to have to "roll my own".  If this does turn out to be
> case - can anyone lend me any guidance as to how I work out what's changed
> in a record (between versions)?  Then I can just store the changes in a DB
> as required.
>
> Jonathan M. Hollin - WYPUG Co-ordinator
> West Yorkshire Perl User Group
> http://wypug.pm.org/

Jonathan,

I worked on a system earlier this year that had a need for revision
control of files.  I decided to use RCS and the Rcs.pm Perl module.
The Rcs.pm module actually had several flaws which I tried to
communicate to the author, but I never heard from him.  However, with
my fixes, I found using RCS to be perfectly adequate for my needs.  I
interacted with a database, as well (MySQL), but only to store the
file's location and some meta-data on the file.  I really enjoyed
using RCS, allowing it to handle the manipulation of the files.
Personally, I didn't feel I could roll anything better than RCS,
though you may feel different about replicating CVS's functionality.

ky