Scott

There is a system that exists that is very similar to what you describe.
It's called "WebObjects" and was developed by NeXT... it's now offered by
Apple.  The latest release is (unfortunately) Java only but previous
releases (still available) were (Objective) C.  Once you scratch the surface
of WO, your head almost explodes because it's so astonishingly brilliant and
far better than anything else available for rapid (web-based) application
development.  It is also very very firmly built on real OO theory, which
cannot be said for most other web app environments.  You build entirely
self-contained web components that have no dependency on anything and can be
reused in any app anywhere.  Components are (well, by default) stateful.  In
other words, any objects and variables in your component are still there,
living and breathing, when a form is submitted or a link is clicked on.

Unfortunately it's not free. $699.  And deploying it is quite complex...

You could check out smartworker (if you can find it these days...), which
has a vaguely similar philosophy.  It's mod_perl and free. It was originally
developed by me and two others... we got it into a rough shape and then it
was taken over by a team of very talented developers who have managed to do
some great things with it.  Try http://www.smartworker.org to see if there's
anything going on.

Kyle
Systems Engineer