> On http://www.firstworks.com/sqlrelay/programming/perldbd.html it says:
>
> "For the duration of the session, the client stays connected to a
> database connection daemon. While one client is connected, no other
> client can connect. Care should be taken to minimize the length of a
> session."
>
> Doesn't seem good at all. Reminds me of the early days of mSQL (is it
> still working with one client at a time?)

The documentation is confusing.  My impression is that there is a pool of
available database connections, as well as a pool of listener daemons.  This
statement seems to be saying that while connected you tie up one listener
and one database connection.  Their theory seems to be that connecting to
their daemon is much faster than connecting to the database, and the actual
database connections are kept open by the daemons.

What I don't understand is why they separate the listener and database
connection daemons if you always need one of each to do anything.

In theory, using this thing could result in fewer database connections
although it would impact performance at least a little.

- Perrin