On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Jeremy Howard wrote:

> Note that mod_accel can also be called by utilising the mod_rewrite [P]
> directive, just like with mod_proxy.

If I put [P] in a RewriteRule, how does Apache know whether I want it to
use mod_proxy or mod_accel?

> AccelSet* adds X-* headers to the request to the backend. This is useful to
> know what the original request details were.

In ftp://ftp.lexa.ru/pub/apache-rus/contrib/ (where I have been told to
download mod_accel/mod_deflate from before), I see another file called
mod_realip-1.0.tar.gz just released one week ago. From looking at the
keywords in the documentation, it looks like a module to be installed on
the backend httpd that will parse these X-* headers to retrieve the
original IP address.

> By default only text/html is compressed.

I think it's safe to compress text/plain by default, too; I've never seen
any browser problems with compressed text/plain (only text/js and
text/css).