On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Philip Mak wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Jeremy Howard wrote:
>
> > Note that mod_accel can also be called by utilising the mod_rewrite [P]
> > directive, just like with mod_proxy.

Even more. You can use mod_accel/mod_rewrite/mod_include:

RewriteRule   ^/one.html$   http://backend/$1   [P]

<!--#include virtual="/one.html?arg=some" -->

> If I put [P] in a RewriteRule, how does Apache know whether I want it to
> use mod_proxy or mod_accel?

mod_proxy and mod_accel can work together expect one case - mod_rewrite [P].
You can disable mod_accel's [P] with --without-mod_rewrite mod_accel
configure parameter.

> > AccelSet* adds X-* headers to the request to the backend. This is useful to
> > know what the original request details were.
>
> In ftp://ftp.lexa.ru/pub/apache-rus/contrib/ (where I have been told to
> download mod_accel/mod_deflate from before), I see another file called
> mod_realip-1.0.tar.gz just released one week ago. From looking at the
> keywords in the documentation, it looks like a module to be installed on
> the backend httpd that will parse these X-* headers to retrieve the
> original IP address.

Yes, it can set IP using "X-Real-IP" header (default) or "X-Forwarde-For"
header. Also mod_realip set IP in one of three phases - postread, header
and fixups.

> > By default only text/html is compressed.
>
> I think it's safe to compress text/plain by default, too; I've never seen
> any browser problems with compressed text/plain (only text/js and
> text/css).

There is no text/js type - application/x-javascript instead.

Macromedia FlashPlayer 4.x-5.x doesn't understand compressed text files
received via loadVariables() function. These files can have any type
but usually they have text/plain. If you site doesn't use such flash
movies - you can safely compress text/plain:

DeflateTypes text/plain

Igor Sysoev