On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Jeremy Howard wrote:

> I posted a couple of weeks ago about how well the mod_deflate/mod_accel
> combination works on a front-end HTTP accelerator. I've just discovered a
> problem that I thought I'd mention here for anyone who's trying this out.
>
> It appears that Mozilla-based browsers fail when using gzip encoding with
> POST requests. I've added
>   DeflateDisableRange "MSIE 4." "Mozilla"
> to my httpd.conf as a workaround for this bug. The bug appears
> intermittently, and I haven't yet worked out exactly how to replicate it.
> However, it's been reported by many of my users and I have experienced it
> myself, so I'd suggest being wary of this combination.

First, "DeflateDisableRange" doesn't disable gzipping - it disables
partial responses (byte-range) if this request can be gzipped.
If you want to disable gzipping for some browser you need to set
enviroment variable:

BrowserMatch "Gecko" no_gzip

Second, don't use "Mozilla" string - this string is in all Netscape 1-6,
and MSIE 1-6. Use "Gecko" instead - all Mozilla-derived browsers has
this string.

And third - can you send me all bug reports with Mozilla ?

Igor Sysoev