Seems wierd. I do this quite succesfully myself, although I did have problems
when compressing images and html together using Apache::Compress - similar
symptom to yours. Are you doing anything else in the handler?  Have you stripped
this down to the most basic form e.g. a handler that prints out 'hello world'
with a single IMG tag in the html perhaps? And there's nothing in the error_log
at all? Try sticking some code in before and after 'return DECLINED' - something
like:

$r->log_error("Serving content type: " . $r->content_type() . " for uri " .
$r->uri() ) ;

So you can see what's being requested. Also, what does your httpd.conf look
like?

Be aware that if your client requests the / uri, the mime type that you get is
not text/html but httpd/unix-directory. You may want to change the way it works
to specifying what you explicitly don't handle (I recommend using regex here)
rather than what you do.

~mark.