Hello eCap,

e> A newbie question here...
e> I have a requirement to spin off a SQL loader process after a web page (a
e> form which is qualified and accepted) has been submitted.  Does it make
e> sense, or more importantly, is it dangerous to apply a "fork" at the end of
e> a module such as this:

e> sub handler {
e>  # do some qualification stuff here and accept the form submission...
e>  if ($pid = fork) {
e>   # parent
e>   # ...whatever i need to accomplish to deliver return html code
e>   return OK
e>  } elsif {
e>   # child
e>   exec($sql_loader);
e>  } else {
e>   # ...whatever i ned to do to recover errors
e>   return DECLINED
e>  }

e> }

e> Are there any dangers in doing something like this?  Or is there a more
e> efficient way to accomplish the same thing?

e> Thanks for the advice,
e> Kirk

I'm recently implement exactly such loader. From the client HTTP
request I'm starting loader with double fork approach. I'm loading
posssible large enough (about 100 - 150 MB) data from DBF flat files
into Oracle in single transaction (I'm must provide consistency).
Loader process takes about 40-50 min to complete and consumes many
resources (CPU and RAM). But it works !

--
WBR, Mike P. Mikhailov
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Pessimests are right more often, but optimists are happy more often