Two things,

First check out http://www.apachetoolbox.com/ About as out-of-the-box
as you can get.  Last time I tried it seemed to 'do the right thing'
for me.

For mod_perl specifics you might also check out chapter 1 of the
"mod_perl Developer's Cookbook".  I think it's a pretty good stab at
showing a novice how to compile and install apache+mod_perl (though
not mod_ssl... alas) The complete chapter is online at
http://www.modperlcookbook.org/

Regards,
Paul

--
Paul Lindner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]   ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |

    mod_perl Developer's Cookbook   http://www.modperlcookbook.org/
         Human Rights Declaration   http://www.unhchr.ch/udhr/index.htm