Ok, that makes sense.  But the reason I didn't include a "new" method for FooBar was
because I don't know what A::R's "new" method does, so I didn't want to override it.
What if it does some init stuff to the object? I'm assuming that's what's happening
because, after adding a "new" method to FooBar, when I try to call $foobar->param
(which I have not overridden), the child process segfaults.  Oh well, I guess at this
point I need to go back to reading more on perl OO since it's not sinking.

Thanks for your help!

--Alex