On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Jonathan M. Hollin wrote:

> I now need to install some Perl modules (DBD-MySql, Image-Magick, etc).
> Under ActivePerl on WYPUG's current Win2K box, I would simply use the
> Perl Package Manager (PPM) to download and install these modules.  Is
> there an equivalent under Unix?

You can get ppm for Linux.  I don't think many people use it.

> If not, what's the best way to install modules?  In short, what do I
> need to know?

(as root)

$ perl -MCPAN -e shell;                     [1]

(answer loads of really simple config questions the first time you
install - just accept the defaults)

cpan> install Acme::Buffy;

installs Acme::Buffy from source, hopefully asking you about
installing prerequisites first if it needs them (or just installs them
automatically if you selected "follow" during the config)

Later.

Mark.

[1] The command 'cpan' is often set up as an alias for this on many
systems

--
s''  Mark Fowler                                     London.pm   Bath.pm
     http://www.twoshortplanks.com/              [EMAIL PROTECTED]