On Saturday 23 February 2002 03:03 pm, Christoph Lange wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess that this is going to be another "what-a-bloody-beginner"-question
> but I hope somebody will be in a good mood and help me out.
>
> I am using Apache::Session with Postgresql. Unfortunately I had never
> worked with a huge amount of data before I started to program something
> like a (little) web application. I happily packed everything in the
> "session"(s-table) that might be of any use. It hit me hard that it takes a
> veeerrrry long time to get all the stuff out of the "session"(s-table) each
> time the client sends another request. So I became a little more particular
> about what to store. My question referrs to how the extraction of data from
> the "session"(s-table) works. Ok, I have tied a %session and now need to
> get $session{this}->{is}->{an}->{example}. Will the session module always
> fetch the entire $session{this} or is there a way to get exactly the
> reference I want?

The session hash is serialized/deserialized in its entirety using the
Storable module. If you have a large structure it's going to get the whole
thing each time. Personally, I try to never store anything other than object
IDs in the session. Not only does this reduce the session size but it helps
to prevent synchronization problems.

--
Milo Hyson
CyberLife Labs, LLC