> If you had something like Speakeasy DSL or a similar provider that allows
> you to run your own servers, you can run a server out of your house and
> use mod_perl and have fun.
>
> -- Brett

I actually have BellSouth dsl.  I've never perused their acceptable use
policy, but I never thought it was a good idea to host a site at home
because of a lot of things....I have to open port 80 and then I'd have
to worry even more about security, it's dynamic IP and my IP refreshes
fairly regularly and the dyndns service that I use sometimes lags by as
much as 15 minutes in its updates.  I live in a thunderstorm-rich area,
our power is constantly going out, etc... then again, what I'd like to
host isn't mission critical so maybe I'll rethink that...I've gotten
some good feedback so far, thanks to everyone!

I still would like to find either an ISP or a colo, because the other
half of it is that I do a good deal of freelance work on sites, and
having the option to resell a hosting agreement that supports mod_perl
and then having mod_perl at my disposal for app development is
attractive.  I certainly would not want to host that kind of thing at
home.

-Fran