Geoffrey Young wrote:
> we do that frequently here - 7 servers behind a BigIP.  I've always
> wondered, though, whether this approach is foolproof for major
> upgrades for applications that maintain state - since a user might
> have a session created using a new-code box, then hit an old-code box
> on the next page view.  it takes us many minutes to work through
> restarting the entire array.
>
> were you ever concerned about something like that?

We also used BigIP, with the sticky load-balancing option on.  (Well, we
used two, and only the application servers were sticky.  It didn't
matter which proxy/web server you went to.)  This prevents the problem
you're talking about.

Of course if the upgrade involves changing some shared resource like a
database as well, you have to take the site off-line while you do it.  I
suppose it's possible to rig up something crazy with multiple databases
and synchronization, but it's just not worth it.

- Perrin