There are a few scripts that use system calls (``).  There are scripts that
don't use system calls at all and still have the 0.  None of them create any
subprocesses.

I checked to see if mod_perl was handling the scripts that sent the '0' but
perl is indeed handling them and not httpd.

For testing this problem I have a standard setup:

<Directory "/home/www/cgi-bin">
   AllowOverride None
   Options None
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
   Options +ExecCGI
</Directory>

The mod_perl script directory:

<Directory "/home/www/perl">
   SetHandler perl-script
   PerlHandler Apache::Registry
   Options +ExecCGI
   PerlSendHeader on
   PerlModule Apache::DBI Apache::StatINC
   AllowOverride All
</Directory>

The server is running Apache 1.3.20.  I'm not sure how to find the version
of mod_perl...

Nothing looks out of wack does it?  Anything running in cgi-bin has a '0'
appended to it and is exceuted by perl.  Anything in perl does not have the
'0' and is executed by httpd.

- Mike