>>But, I need to find someway to do this without the extra
>>redirect.
>
> would be something along the lines of: have a javascript
> enabled page that gets the height and width of the client (as
> you've shown), that then redirects the client to a location
> that can read the height and width from the query string and set
> a session cookie, which can then be read and acted upon for every
> subsequent request by a PerlTransHandler or RewriteRule.
>
> Does that sound reasonable?

Can you not just set a cookie from the javascript itself, rather than
having it redirect to a location which then has to read it from the
query string and set the cookie.  Saves you one step, if it's possible
to set the cookie directly from the javascript (which it seems like
should be possible, but I don't know for sure).

-Fran