Me again,
  I removed the lines
    --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a
    --enable-module=perl
and recompiled Apache.  Then I commented out the line
    AddModule mod_perl.c
from my httpd.conf.

Now I don't get the msg:
    'The document contained no data'
Moreover, I can open my home page as before.  Also I
can load my 'hello.pl' from the Apache::Registry
location /perl/hello.pl.  The only thing I can't do
now is to load the 'hello.pl' from a web page.
  I am trying

     <center><form action="/perl/hello.pl">
     <input type="submit" value="    mod_perl   ">
     </form><center>

as I do w/ CGI scripts.  What appears in the browser
is the text of the page rather than the html.  Yet the
very same page appears fine when I load it directly w/

For reference my mod_perl.conf file is

  PerlRequire conf/mod_perl.pl
  PerlFreshRestart On

  <Location /hello/world>